I’ve been dreading this, and tried to see if the planes could fly westerly when winds allow instead, to give us a little break at times. Unbelievably, the airport only has instruments on one side of the east/west runway (FAA’s decision), which need to be always used because some airlines unnecessarily require pilots to always use IFR instruments even on bright, sunny days.

Two of the officials in the conference call will also be affected by the noise because of where they live. They were frustrated nothing could be done. I left the conversation dumfounded. FAA and a few airlines’ ridiculous rules have left us in a one-way pickle.

Is this project even safe? As I write this, the wind is officially a strong crosswind from the south at 20mph, since planes can only take off to the east and land from the east.

What if crosswinds or tail winds are even stronger? I was told there is no workaround solution, and that planes will likely not be able to land at the military base. Landing in Fairbanks appears to be the only option, which is 260 miles by air and 360 miles by bus (if passengers have to be transported).

And next year, the situation is expected to be worse, because after about three weeks this summer, planes other than freighters are said to be able to use the north/south runway, the part that isn’t worked on. But next year, all planes will take off to the east all summer long probably into October.

Another factor: the project is already over one month behind schedule. It was supposed to start in mid-May. Will they even finish during these two summers?
– –


$100 million project at Ted Stevens will boost Anchorage economy and pump up the volume of air traffic noise

…no dollar amount will be able to stop the noise increase that some residents are going to notice over the next four months.

“We generally arrive and depart over the water,” Szczesniak said, referring to air traffic over Anchorage. “But with this runway project, we are going to have to impact the traffic flows over the east and southeast sections of the city.”

But, Szczesniak emphasizes that the increased noise is only temporary.

“Once the construction season closes this fall, traffic will go back to normal, where it’s arriving and departing over the water,” Szczesniak said. “And next year during construction season, we’ll be arriving and departing over the city again. Once the project is complete by next year air traffic will return over the water.”

Airport officials say the project isn’t expected to exceed two years. The construction for the first phase is underway and will continue through September or October.